FREE LIBRARY CARDS
Union City Public Library is a member of the state wide Evergreen Indiana Library Consortium, and it is through this consortium that our library cards are issued. Union City Public Library cards are free to anyone ages 6 and up living within Union City, or Jackson Township of Randolph County, Indiana.
To receive a card you must verify your current street address within the area served by the library (Note: Post Office Box addresses do not qualify). You are also eligible to obtain a library card if you reside elsewhere, but own property and pay the property tax in one of these two locations.
Getting a Library Card –
You will be pleased to know that it is easy, takes only a few minutes, and that we want you to enjoy having and using a library card. If you have any questions, the library staff will be glad to assist you.
Basically…To apply for an Evergreen Indiana library card, applicants must present proper identification that establishes that the individual resides in or pays real property taxes on property owned within the Union City Public Library’s service area of Union City, Indiana, and Jackson and Wayne Townships of Randolph County to be eligible to receive their card. (Note: There are some exceptions to this, which also permit non-residents to enjoy having a library card with us.)
Proper identification is one of the following items – provided the item is a photo identification:
- a valid Indiana Driver’s License which displays a current address;
- valid Indiana State ID which displays a current address; or
- a current government issued photo ID (e.g., military ID, passport).
- valid identification issued by another State (e.g., Driver’s License)
- valid current university or college identification (e.g., Student identification)
If the presented Proper Identification above does not display a current address, not a problem, the applicant must simply present one item from the Recommended List below in addition to the Indiana Driver’s License, Indiana State ID or other government issued photo ID presented as Proper Identification from the above list. The ID presented from the Recommended List below must include a current street address.
Recommended List of ID includes:
- valid voter registration card,
- computer generated bank statement issued in applicant’s name within the last 30 days
- computer generated utility, credit card company, doctor or hospital bill, issued in applicant’s name within the last 30 days and containing address of residence
- Medicaid or Medicare benefit statement issued in the applicant’s name within the last 30 days
- Change-of-address confirmation from the United States Postal Service showing prior and current address of residence, or a piece of cancelled mail with the applicant’s name and current address of residence within the last 30 days (a P.O. Box is not acceptable as a residence address)
- apartment lease signed within the last 30 days
- a current property tax receipt issued in the applicant’s name”
For additional details and information regarding Evergreen’s borrowing privileges, responsibilities, additional free services, renewing items, placing holds, and more, please click here to see: Evergreen Circulation Policies and Information